chawton residents local plan Minutes Village Notices Meetings Events Uncategorized

Minutes of Chawton PC Meeting 14th March 2023




Tuesday 14th March 2023 07:30 PM

The Learning Centre, J A House


1 Apologies
1.1  Present: Phillip Pascoe (Chair), Malcolm Williamson, Laura Dadswell, Jenny Perring and Mandi Sowik (Clerk), and Ilena Allsopp

1.2  Apologies: Jason Simper, Diana Tennyson (DC)

2. Public Attendance
2.1 Introductions by the Public gallery of attendance and declared interests.

Clare Klare – Neighbourhood Plan – interest in volunteering for this, Neal Day and David Foster (District Council nominees), Ian Robertson – interested in CIL projects

3. Minutes of last Meeting
Previously approved and signed as a true and correct record by the Chairman.
4. Updates
District Councilors report

No report


5. Planning and Development*
Current and ongoing planning applications will be discussed at the meeting and comments will be made: –

*-The Parish Council can make observations regarding the Parish as a whole and comment on applications made but there is no guarantee that these comments will impact the ultimate decision.


SDNP/23/00524/TCA Tree in a Conservation Area Chawton House, Gosport Road, Chawton, Alton, Hampshire, GU34 1SJ – No objection

SDNP/23/00281/HOUS Proposed detached 2 bay oak frame garage, with log store Oriel House Winchester Road, Chawton, Alton, Hampshire, GU34 1SL – No objection, Council support.

6. General Activity
Discuss and review the ongoing objectives and activities of the Parish Council (Detailed in Appendix 1).

6.1 –single bollard – this has been ordered – discussion with the Cricket Club required.

6.2 – CIL Funding – ideas and applications – a list has been made and will be allocated to individual Councillors for completion and submission – deadline 24th March. Projects will be covered by:

Play Area – Cllr L Dadswell (and Clerk)/ Underpass Area – Cllr Williamson/ Telephone Box – Cllr Pascoe/ Outside School Classroom – Cllr Pascoe.

6.3 – Tree works phase 3 – The work planned for the 13-15th March has been postponed due to the wet ground in the recreation area. A new date will be set.

6.4 – Plans for Coronation of King Charles – due to a booking on the Sunday we will revert to planning for the Saturday afternoon. Several residents have offered their help and a subcommittee will be formed. A road closure has been applied for. Cllr Allsopp will contact those residents who have offered help and organise an initial meeting to set up the planning.

6.5 – Litter Pick – A tidy up has been proposed for Saturday 1st April 2023 – 9.30am meeting in the car park of the village hall, pickers, Hi-Viz jackets and litter bags will be provided. All volunteers welcome!

6.6 – More quotes have been sought the grass cutting in the village.

6.7 – Neighbourhood Plan – The Council will obtain costs and grants and consider a subcommittee to take this forward with the possibility of hiring a consultant. This will be looked at in more detail during the Parish Meeting in May. SDNP (Parish Priorities Statement) The Clerk had completed and sent to the SDNP the PPS apart from the background paper on visions for the future which was designed to inform a Neighbourhood Plan but will not be part of it. Cllr Williamson had prepared a draft of this section of the PPS which would be circulated for comment. Subject to comments the Clerk would submit this to SDNP.

6.8 – Grant for Pre-School – An application for a grant of £500 has been received from the pre school towards running costs and new equipment. The PC agreed to the grant.


7. Financial Review
To review and approve any spending and payments/requests for funding (Itemised in Appendix 2)

Clerk Salary & Overtime

8. AOB.
8.1 Milestone on the A31 update – The question was asked if the Council had any plans to clean and maintain this stone.

8.2 Cllr Perring attended a recent District Local Cycling and Walking workshop – links between Alton and surrounding villages were discussed amongst other ideas and initiatives.

8.3 The Clerk had a meeting with PCSO Ponsford to discuss more patrols and accessibility to the Police in general.





Meeting closed at 20:45

Next Meeting Tuesday 11th April 2023